THE KUNSTLERCAST BOOK
NOW SHIPPING (U.S. Only)
$13 + tax, shipping and handling
Also at Amazon
Or Shop Indie Bookstores*
*(price varies)
For Canada, Buy Here
For all else, check online.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 08, 2016, 03:03:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
73346 Posts in 6361 Topics by 13711 Members
Latest Member: Alexander2
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  kunstlercast.com
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: carstars, Innocent Byproduct)
| | |-+  Kunstler Glossary of Terms
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Kunstler Glossary of Terms  (Read 11981 times)
nissan03

"...there is no cure for curiosity."

View Profile
« on: January 19, 2009, 07:30:34 PM »

While reading Mr. Kunstler's weekly blog, I once again realized that a lot of the terms He has coined and frequently refer to might not make a lot of sense to a "newbie" to this realm.

This notion was comically reinforced as a young caller to a national radio broadcast asked the host to explain what a "cool aid drinker" was.

I would gladly purchase a booklet of Kunstlerisms, from Happy Motoring to Cheez Doodles and all the wonderfully descriptive and humorous terms used in Jim's books, His blog and on this forum.  I would also enjoy the memorable quotes that I believe Vooch has saved ( or direction to them ).

Maybe a tract form could be published for distribution at city councel meetings, ribbon cuttings, placing under windshield wipers of SUV's at Walmart.  Think of the possibilities.

I respect Mr. Kunstler's proprietary rights to terms and have know idea as to the nut and bolts of gathering the terms and defintions, publishing online or traditional book form.  Maybe this is just a screwball idea, but I think it would be great to hand to the zoning commission a tract from Jim after they block a variance to allow a child-care facility in a residental "zone".
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 03:53:42 PM by nissan03 » Logged

We don't have souls.  We are souls.  We have bodies.  C. S. Lewis

People only accept change when they are faced with necessity, and only recognise necessity when a crisis is upon them.  Jean Monnet
Duncan
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 08:16:04 PM »

nissan03,

This is a great topic. I recorded a show a while back where we did a very brief Glossary of Nowhere.

But I think we could do a better job. I'd like to record a new podcast in the near future where we go through a much more extensive glossary of terms. So...everyone, please help me out by posting your favorite terms or expressions that Jim has coined. I'll ask Jim to define them on a future show. But you can also offer your own definition for the terms here as well. Sound good? Please post away.

--
Host/Producer
The KunstlerCast
http://kunstlercast.com

Please post a review of our podcast in the iTunes directory!
LarSue

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 08:30:17 PM »

Oh, great idea!

My fave...  "Violent clowns" n. def:  Certain individuals in society who feign to be out-of-the-norm and defiant toward social norms and standards.  Often identified by their choice of clothing or uniform - unbelted baggy pants that fall to the mid-section of the buttocks.  May also display various types of body piercings and/or tatoos. 

What if the Hokey Pokey is really all that it's all about?
kwellada
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 09:14:10 PM »

"Fossil Fuel Fiesta" - the party humans have enjoyed for the past 150 years that is based on easily recoverable cheap and plentiful energy

"Berm" - what your green space will actually turn out to be.

voodoo_pork

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 11:36:40 PM »

"The Great Automobile Slum" Kunstler's preferred term for much of sprawl America. My personal favorite.
"Cheese Doodle": Any chemically enhanced non-food food product soon to be extinct.
"Nature Band-aid": A use of cheap, pointless greenery to hide mutilated urban environments.
"UFO's": Those odd, pod-shaped building occupying gigantic parking lots.
"Parking Lagoons": Those gigantic parking lots.
"Family Chauffeur": Mom when kids reach age 12-16.
"Missing Teeth": Empty lots in an otherwise dense urban setting.
"Hannibal Lector School for Tots": Most schools in the US resemble prisons.

oswegatchie

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 04:43:24 AM »

Oh, great idea!

My fave...  "Violent clowns" n. def:  Certain individuals in society who feign to be out-of-the-norm and defiant toward social norms and standards.  Often identified by their choice of clothing or uniform - unbelted baggy pants that fall to the mid-section of the buttocks.  May also display various types of body piercings and/or tatoos. 

Also identifiable by their sheer numbers. So much for them being individuals who are unique in their defiance.
David H

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 03:06:39 PM »

We can't forget "fry pit", restaurants featuring deep fried food, most likely national chains with a drive through window.  They could also be defined as a source of alternative fuel that won't save us from the Long Emergency.
digitalvision

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2009, 05:39:47 AM »

"Styrofoam Caskets" = Take out food containers
ifthisbeterror

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 08:43:02 AM »

Good thing we found another outgroup to ridicule!

[Perhaps, instead of paying attention to the obvious (outward) evidence of these young peoples' dissent, we might choose, instead, to see 'where they are' and what they might think about the issues us work-shirt-and-jeans-, billed cap-, and workboot-wearing older folk are concerned about.

We might be surprised.]

Oh, great idea!

nissan03

"...there is no cure for curiosity."

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 01:20:35 AM »

"in the country"
  Kunstler's mother describing anyplace where you cannot walk out your front door and hail a taxi.
A place where it seems a lot more people will be living and working in the future.

We don't have souls.  We are souls.  We have bodies.  C. S. Lewis

People only accept change when they are faced with necessity, and only recognise necessity when a crisis is upon them.  Jean Monnet
bronorb

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 02:26:49 PM »

Green Smoke. Usage: "Blowing Green Smoke up one's ass".

The use (and abuse) of climate change and other environmental concerns to cloud discussions about the real issues so that we can get back to talking about how we are going to drive our SUV's on something other than oil.
SPinPA

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 02:07:49 PM »

An obvious one:
The Long Emergency

A more recent one:
Zombie Money

Some other well-known but personal favorites of mine:
NIMBY - "not in my backyard"
BANANA - "build absolutely nothing anywhere anything"

I believe there is another funny acronym along the same line that I'm not remembering.
slark

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 07:34:47 AM »

This is a little off topic, but check out this Time photo essay on, get this, a grocery auction (there's money to be made for auctioneers doing this apparently). Photo number 5 has an auctioneer's assistant holding high a packet of Cheese Curls, which seem to be the same quasi-food concoction as Jim's favourite Cheese Doodles, with the US flag hanging high (but sagging somewhat) in the background. You can't make this stuff up...

Grocery Auction - Photo Essays - TIME
http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1891675_1869023,00.html
Andy R

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 02:51:30 AM »

"The Great Automobile Slum" Kunstler's preferred term for much of sprawl America. My personal favorite.

I think the term was actually "National Automobile Slum" and it is an apt description that can inspire realization for those who haven't noticed.
I know that having seen so much of it growing up, the ugliness of it never really struck me until I heard it articulated in the manner Kunstler has done so well.

Now I can't help but notice..

(paraphrasing Charlton Heston):
Damn you JHK!
Damn you to hell!!  Grin

« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 02:54:49 AM by Andy R » Logged

“The majestic equality of the law forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.”
Anatole France
John M.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2009, 06:07:53 PM »

Oh, great idea!

This is by far my favorite.  What I like about Jim is he isn't afraid to poke fun at stuff like this.  What I might add is last time I was visiting Atlanta (my family is out there) I saw some of these violent clowns, dressed like babies, and one of them was sucking on a pacifier!  It was hard to tell, but I would estimate the guy was about 20.  He looked a LITTLE too old for high school, but not quite a full-fledged adult.

Austin seems to be the tattoo capital of the country.  I'm sure there are worse places, but it never ceases to amaze me what people will permanently put under their skin.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: