THE KUNSTLERCAST BOOK
NOW SHIPPING (U.S. Only)
$13 + tax, shipping and handling
Also at Amazon
Or Shop Indie Bookstores*
*(price varies)
For Canada, Buy Here
For all else, check online.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2017, 06:18:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
73824 Posts in 6745 Topics by 14150 Members
Latest Member: wayedcomfy1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  kunstlercast.com
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: carstars, Innocent Byproduct)
| | |-+  Tea Party vs. Sustainable Development
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Tea Party vs. Sustainable Development  (Read 3629 times)
Andy R

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2010, 01:41:55 AM »

If a Tea Partier were ever confronted with the realities of how the Unites States actually works and how things actually get paid for, they would probably become even more apoplectic with rage and denial.

This is the whole idea!
It was starting to happen with the Ron Paul 2008 Pres campaign, but it soon morphed into the Caribou Barbie reality show.

Ah well - there's always  2012.

“The majestic equality of the law forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.”
Anatole France
Dave

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2010, 02:16:40 AM »

You mean like how red states get more money from the Feds than blue states?

Smart Republicans, Stupid Democrats
If Democrats are the big spenders, why do Republican states get the money?

http://www.slate.com/id/2276583/

It isn't surprising that the more Republican a state leans, the more likely it is to be furious about government spending. But what is surprising is that states with the highest anti-spending sentiment appear to be the largest beneficiaries of government spending. Not only do red states swallow the lion's share of government spending, but Richardson found a linear relationship between the extent of GOP support in a state—and, by implication, the fervor of its anti-government sentiment—and the amount of federal largesse the state receives.

marcszar
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2010, 02:59:29 AM »

^ This is a great article! The same gradual and unforeseen transferal of wealth occurred with suburbanization - the wealth that was created in our cities was indirectly siphoned off and spent on the construction of suburban infrastructure. For example, electricity rates are higher in cities than in rural/exurban areas because utility companies are allowed to charge urban customers more to subsidize their otherwise loss-making service to rural/exurban customers. Recall that rural and exurban areas would never have been electrified had it not been for 30s-era government electrification programs and regulations which required utilities to service rural areas. Before then they never even bothered to extend service into rural areas because the income from sparse and dispersed rural/suburban customers would not make up for the expense of building and maintaining vast lengths of utility lines (and the crews necessary to service them) unless they charged extremely high rates. The same scenario occurred with telephone service.

I wonder what would happen if we deregulated electricity - a company would no longer be required to overcharge an urban customer to provide service to a rural/exurban customer and, if urban customers would refuse to pay more to subsidize exurban freeloaders, the utilities might drop their loss-making exurban services and concentrate only on servicing profitable towns and cities. You'd no longer be able to live a subsidized urban lifestyle in an exurban setting - you'd only live there if you actually made some kind of living off the landscape (farming, logging, ranching, etc.). With the lifting of government-mandated exurban utility service, we might even see a revival of rural self-sufficiency (for example, the reemergence of the once-ubiquitous windmill on prairie farmsteads for electricity and pumping water).
« Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 03:25:40 AM by marcszar » Logged
faraway

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2010, 04:03:01 AM »

You mean like how red states get more money from the Feds than blue states?

I love this argument!
The assumption behind it is that blue states should get money back from the Feds in a closer 1:1 ratio that they mail it in.
That is a SMALLER FED GOV argument!

... the very premise "blues" supposedly argue against.

You can have my Cheezedoodles ® when you pry them from my bright orange fingers.
billonions

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2010, 03:20:39 AM »

Thanks Dave....

Reminds me of the the almost classic Matt Taibbi bit of folks railing 'gainst the gummerment while tooling around in old fart carts paid for by medicade and while collecting nice gummerment pensions.

Far, I don't know if that's so true other than pointing out that man is the only animal that bites the hand that feeds it.

What now!
faraway

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2010, 03:34:41 AM »

Well, some people prefer not to be handfed I guess.
 Smiley 

You can have my Cheezedoodles ® when you pry them from my bright orange fingers.
billonions

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2010, 03:48:27 AM »

Good one far...

What now!
GraniteCountertop
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2010, 04:45:06 PM »

If a Tea Partier were ever confronted with the realities of how the Unites States actually works and how things actually get paid for, they would probably become even more apoplectic with rage and denial.

This is the whole idea!
It was starting to happen with the Ron Paul 2008 Pres campaign, but it soon morphed into the Caribou Barbie reality show.
Grin Caribou Barbie  Grin JHK may need to hire you as a phraseologist.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: