THE KUNSTLERCAST BOOK
NOW SHIPPING (U.S. Only)
$13 + tax, shipping and handling
Also at Amazon
Or Shop Indie Bookstores*
*(price varies)
For Canada, Buy Here
For all else, check online.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2017, 06:22:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
73824 Posts in 6745 Topics by 14150 Members
Latest Member: wayedcomfy1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  kunstlercast.com
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: carstars, Innocent Byproduct)
| | |-+  Excerpts from my post-oil dystopian novel
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16 Print
Author Topic: Excerpts from my post-oil dystopian novel  (Read 37066 times)
Innocent Byproduct

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 12, 2009, 10:00:15 AM »

Those are very good chapters! Hope all is going well with the family.

Thanks, Logan. Smiley

"This is an emergency far worse than World War I and World War II put together." --Sir Richard Branson

"The airlines in this sector are really the canaries in the coal mine." --J Kunstler

"This is the first scenario I've seen where I question the survivability of mankind." --R Rainwater
Innocent Byproduct

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 12, 2009, 10:02:30 AM »

Latex gloves for gathering eggs?  The German immigrant farm families that I grew up around and with would have laughed wholeheartedly at such a concept.  My job as a child was to gather the eggs and I never was instructed to even wash my hands.  Our nesting boxes were 2-tier in a darkened room as chickens prefer darkened areas to lay their eggs.  I would just stick my hand into the nest since it was too dark to tell if there were eggs there or not and I would feel around for them.  Several times to my horror I would feel the scales of an egg-loving snake and run screaming out of the hen house. 

So latex-wearing egg gatherers–is this the norm in our bacteria-fearing “modern” world?  I gather all my eggs with my bare unwashed hands and have read not to wash the eggs because the hen has a mucous layer on the eggs to preserve them, i.e., lets them breathe but keeps out bacteria.  Most well-heeled chicken raisers have egg-rolling egg nesting boxes.  The hen lays the egg and the bottom is canted so that the egg rolls forward to keep from getting dirty from the hens feet or need to defecate.

Patches, my border collie, sends her delight at how well you have border collie behavior and psychology down, especially the breed’s intense attachment to and love of a single person. 

I am so glad the ranch hand milks both cows and goats!

A wonderful read, IB, especially considering the emotional trauma you have been going through.  This is live proof that trauma spurs artistic creativity.

Sorry, carwood. I had a woman who keeps chickens tell me she wears gloves. I admit I've never gathered eggs myself though. Smiley

Good to hear Misty is sizing up as a likeable and believable character.  Grin

"This is an emergency far worse than World War I and World War II put together." --Sir Richard Branson

"The airlines in this sector are really the canaries in the coal mine." --J Kunstler

"This is the first scenario I've seen where I question the survivability of mankind." --R Rainwater
Innocent Byproduct

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 12, 2009, 10:04:44 AM »

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

::EDIT::

I've now moved this chapter to my Blogspot blog. If you want to read it,
go to this link. If you want to comment on this chapter, you must backtrack
here to KunstlerCast again and comment in this thread.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 11:31:34 PM by Innocent Byproduct » Logged

Innocent Byproduct

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 12, 2009, 10:06:47 AM »

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 11:31:57 PM by Innocent Byproduct » Logged

Innocent Byproduct

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 12, 2009, 10:08:44 AM »

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 11:32:41 PM by Innocent Byproduct » Logged

Andy R

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 12, 2009, 11:25:31 PM »

Can't find chapters 13-15 on your other blog IB- links don't work, even if I click them from Chapter 12 as posted on your blog.

Don't want to read 16-18 until I see them!!

I was very absorbed up through Chapter 12 - you have quite a novel going here, but I am wondering if you will stop posting here and leave the end for a publication date to be announced?

“The majestic equality of the law forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.”
Anatole France
carwood
« Reply #141 on: July 13, 2009, 11:08:04 AM »

IB, that latex-wearing thing has me wondering so I am going to ask the 3,186 members in the 3 Yahoo groups I am in, i.e., Free Ranging Chickens, Yard Poultry, and Pasture Poultry if anyone wears latex gloves to gather eggs.  I will let you know the results.  Now I am settled in with my morning tea, a somewhat functional brain, and the pleasure of reading your latest posting.
carwood
« Reply #142 on: July 13, 2009, 11:51:49 AM »

Even if you withhold the final chapters for book sales as Andy R suggests, I am a buyer.  Dr. Tuxedo--what a truly wonderul arch enemy, evil personage.  I so look forward to our hero destroying the vermin and look forward to how he will accomplish it. 

I noted only 2 typos as follows:  “She looked up with sad eyes then plopped he head back down again”

“walked in a daze over to the widow that overlooked the back of the property”

I am hanging on the cliff waiting for the next installment. 
Logan5

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 14, 2009, 03:31:12 AM »

It's an interesting question, I suppose, whether it actually makes sense to withhold online chapters on the theory that it crimps eventual downstream sales. I'm not saying John Scalzi is Dean Koontz now in terms of sales volume, but he's done pretty well in print and I remember reading his whole first novel posted online. I can think of two or three more at least off the top of my head. I have the sense that how your novel is received online is an important indicator of how your target market will receive it, but that the actual overlap is really just enough to sell your book via word of mouth.
Innocent Byproduct

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 14, 2009, 10:46:30 PM »

Sorry, guys. I screwed up! I posted in such haste that I messed up the blog end of it.

I will fix those postings in my blog so you guys can read chapters 13-15.

Meanwhile, as an excuse, I have been visiting my mom every day in the hospital for several weeks now. My entire family came last week when my mom hit the ICU. My mom got admitted to the ICU on Thriusday morning and has been on a ventilator since --the hospital called me on Thursday morning (I am the Health Care Proxy, so I make "those" decisions) and asked my permission to either intubate her, or to let her go without, and I told them to intubate her. So all my brothers (except for Neil) and my sister all came in on Thursday from Ohio, Boston, Manhattan, Connecticut, etc. So all of us (except for Neil) -- were together in the same room for the first time in over 15 years. I have five siblings, and my father is also still living, so ALL of us --including my siblings' spouses and all their children-- came together over the weekend and we took over the entire ICU waiting room (all of us except for Neil). Not just my siblings and my dad, but even my aunt from Vermont and my uncle from Rhode Island (the only two remaining siblings of my mom).  Evenyone eventually had to leave by Sunday and she was doing loads better on Sunday anyway. She's been improving with such strides she's actually surprising the doctors (she is 77 years old). Meanwhile, since I am the Health Care Proxy, I have to keep in contact with the doctors and I also report back to my family every day with the latest news on my mom's progress.

Tonight I have major internet stuff to do so I will be here to do clean up on those chapters.

So so so sorry for that technical glitch. I was a little scatter brained when I did it.

--IB

carwood
« Reply #145 on: July 15, 2009, 03:35:32 AM »

IB, so glad your mom is doing better and all her relatives and loved one were there with you.

On a lighter note, I have been getting an overwhelming response on my query to my 3 groups, including the professional group of chicken growers/producers and all say that they do not wear latex gloves to gather eggs.  One respondent said that if she is going to incubate the eggs for hatching, she will wear latex gloves to make sure the eggs go into the incubator without her germs.  Another jokester reported that he used welding gloves to protect from the hens pecking him when he reached underneath her to get the eggs.  I remember also gathering eggs as a child at near sunset and always getting pecked if a chicken is setting a clutch of eggs.  It can be pretty painful!  One respondent said he had worked with a large factory farm and latex gloves were not used there either.  So from this, I understand the latex glove thing to be evidence of someone with a pathology about germs.  All said that if the eggs were pooped upon, they would dust or wash it off and clean the nest box and add nesting materials.  Farmers/ranchers have lots of immunity because they work around animal feces and manure all day and all year long and all have no time or money to waste on donning latex gloves.  The profit margin is too slim as it is.  The scarce about germs is produced by television advertising in the sales of Lysol and bleach products and the large corps trying to make food buyers believe that only they can produce "safe" food, when in actuality with the unhealthy condition of the animals in corporate farming/raching and intense antibiotic use as a consequence, the food is extremely dangerous as superbugs evolve or medically resistent to known antibiotics colonies of microbes and bacteria. 

All a user of eggs needs to do is wash the egg if that user wants to blend in the egg and shells in a raw food blender concoction.  The interior membrane of the egg protects the egg (future chicken) from bacteria.  Otherwise, chickens would have disappeared long ago because the chicks would never form having been eaten by bacteria within the egg. 
Innocent Byproduct

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 15, 2009, 10:44:10 AM »

Wow, carwood, thanks so muhc for clarifying that to me! I must change it all up now! You're awesome! Smiley

Innocent Byproduct

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 15, 2009, 11:04:01 AM »

Okay, guys. All fixed now. Again, so sorry!

Innocent Byproduct

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 16, 2009, 11:27:34 PM »

CHAPTER NINETEEN

« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 10:31:45 PM by Innocent Byproduct » Logged

Innocent Byproduct

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 16, 2009, 11:28:11 PM »

CHAPTER TWENTY

« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 10:32:07 PM by Innocent Byproduct » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: