THE KUNSTLERCAST BOOK
NOW SHIPPING (U.S. Only)
$13 + tax, shipping and handling
Also at Amazon
Or Shop Indie Bookstores*
*(price varies)
For Canada, Buy Here
For all else, check online.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 28, 2017, 06:19:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
73824 Posts in 6745 Topics by 14150 Members
Latest Member: wayedcomfy1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  kunstlercast.com
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: carstars, Innocent Byproduct)
| | |-+  Excerpts from my post-oil dystopian novel
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16 Print
Author Topic: Excerpts from my post-oil dystopian novel  (Read 37037 times)
Innocent Byproduct

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: July 16, 2009, 11:29:09 PM »

CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

::EDIT::

I've now moved this chapter to my Blogspot blog. If you want to read it,
go to this link. If you want to comment on this chapter, you must backtrack
here to KunstlerCast again and comment in this thread.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 10:32:40 PM by Innocent Byproduct » Logged

"This is an emergency far worse than World War I and World War II put together." --Sir Richard Branson

"The airlines in this sector are really the canaries in the coal mine." --J Kunstler

"This is the first scenario I've seen where I question the survivability of mankind." --R Rainwater
Innocent Byproduct

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 16, 2009, 11:29:42 PM »

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO

« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 10:33:07 PM by Innocent Byproduct » Logged

"This is an emergency far worse than World War I and World War II put together." --Sir Richard Branson

"The airlines in this sector are really the canaries in the coal mine." --J Kunstler

"This is the first scenario I've seen where I question the survivability of mankind." --R Rainwater
Logan5

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 17, 2009, 04:12:20 AM »

Nicely done! One thing I'd point out about OTR Gasoline tankers is that you need a CDL with a valid hazmat endorsement to get behind the wheel lawfully, even if you're just driving around your own parking lot... to pick up fuel in it, you probably need a TWIC or that other ID I forget the name of. Back around 1995-97, I rode around a lot in tankers ferrying fuel from the terminal to gas stations, and I recall them being 21 speed manual transmission diesels. Lots of luck hopping in and finding reverse if they've never done it before.
Andy R

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 17, 2009, 04:46:47 PM »

I continue to be riveted!

One item that may require changing for future publication - you may notice that the "Global War on Terror" (GWOT) moniker has fallen into disuse since Obama took over.

The new, more Orwellian classification for this endless war?:
"Overseas Contingency Operations" (OCO)

“The majestic equality of the law forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.”
Anatole France
carwood
« Reply #154 on: July 17, 2009, 06:09:28 PM »

Very exciting, getting into peak oil or here alleged to be just a stop in the flow.  We could all be experiencing a similar event though given erratic weather and increasing storms in the Gulf region as much of our gasoline comes from oil derricks in the Gulf as well as the pipelines running from Houston where oil from other countries is delivered for refining.  There were hints of that the past year when Houston's gas stations were out of oil because of the storms.  Even then with at least 2 weeks of advance warning of an impending landfill of a possibly severe storm, apparently the people didn't get it.  I saw a CNN video where a Houstonite was "losing his patience" because of waiting for truckers bringing in fuel.  Anyone in their right mind would have filled up as many gas cans as possible given the warnings.  So as well mannered as IB's Philadelphians were in her novel, it would put Texans to shame.  In her novel and I hope it is so in the future as we all get more sophisticated at the real cause of our problems, the citizens were banded together against the government.  I eagerly await to see if the problem was really lack of petroleum supplies in full and not a government-inspired plot to make it appear it was a temporary flow problem. 
John H

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 19, 2009, 03:37:11 AM »

When fuel supplies stop, I am not sure everyone would be just hovering around their vehicles.  Strange things would start happening.  For instance, I think there would be mobile cars an trucks overflowing with people and people would be seen running and walking across fields and along roadways.  There would be a range of reactions.  While most people would be fearful, some people would accept the inevitable and would be playing cards; there would be a village atmosphere in part.

I know that when motorists are stranded by floodwaters, local farmers drive in and sell food at exorbitant prices.
carwood
« Reply #156 on: July 19, 2009, 04:08:50 AM »

John H., I think you are correct, but in this case, when the people are not sure how long the lack of fuel will occur there will be patient waiting.

However, during the petroleum crisis in the '70s as we were transitioning to dependence on foreign oil and gas stations often were without gas and long lines, there was violence and arguments among cars waiting for a place in the queue waiting for gas.  During that period there was news of long lines so people were fearful that it would be a long wait and the possible loss of jobs in not getting to work.
John H

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 19, 2009, 11:15:53 AM »

Furthermore, from the point of your novel, this is first time when a large cast has been involved.  This is an opportunity to show a range of reactions to the situation reflecting how people thought at the time.  I imagine there would be cars overheating, fights over / queues for phone booths, fights over / queues for gas-powered taxis.  Not all of the behavior would be rational.  I recall a newspaper article from the 70s about rail commuters having to walk along the rail lines to the city.  There were basically 3 groups of people based on their reactions - angry, resigned or humored.
Logan5

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 23, 2009, 04:40:33 AM »

You doing ok IB? You're a bit too quiet for everything to be fine, I think.
carwood
« Reply #159 on: July 23, 2009, 04:54:38 AM »

IB, I too am worried.  I hope things are okay with your mom.

By the way, everyone on my poultry groups were excited that they participated in a work of art.  I told them I would ask you if they could read the book on your blog.  If that is okay with you, let me know and I will post the link.  It might cause a lot of distraction with so many different types of people, so I will understand if you don't want the distraction.
Innocent Byproduct

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 23, 2009, 08:44:56 PM »

Hi again guys,

I am doing more drive-by posting today.

I have been to the ICU repeatedly for the past two weeks. I missed five days so far out of a total of 36 days now in visiting my mom in the hospital (I brought her to the Er on June 16 andshehas been in the hospital ever since). And now the doctors are telling me they want to put a thrachea (sp?) tube in her so they can take her off the ventilator.  So I have to confer with the rest of my family then sign the legal papers to let the hospital do that.

I am reading your posts today. Thank you for all the great feedback. Thank you also for your concerns about my absense and about my mom. Carwood, yes, go ahead and tell your other cyber friends about the on-line novel. I have no problem with that. I do not fear feedbak, so tell them to go ahead and let me know if I have made any further errros. The best feedback is from people who just plain know. And Logan -- I am the proud owner of a CDL myself, have been for over 15 years now (I was one of the first 500 people in Pennsylvania to get one when the CDL law was first passed. Wink )

I have written another 8 chapters. I hope to post them soon.

--IB

kevinm
« Reply #161 on: July 23, 2009, 09:48:35 PM »

Wow!   You're leading a busy life!  Loved the last few chapters and looking forward to the next 8 Smiley
Give your mom a big hug from this Canuck and wish her well!  It sounds like things are going OK.
Innocent Byproduct

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 23, 2009, 10:23:07 PM »

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 08:43:57 PM by Innocent Byproduct » Logged

Innocent Byproduct

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 23, 2009, 10:23:25 PM »

CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 08:44:26 PM by Innocent Byproduct » Logged

Innocent Byproduct

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 23, 2009, 10:23:43 PM »

Last chapter for today.

CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 08:44:51 PM by Innocent Byproduct » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: