THE KUNSTLERCAST BOOK
NOW SHIPPING (U.S. Only)
$13 + tax, shipping and handling
Also at Amazon
Or Shop Indie Bookstores*
*(price varies)
For Canada, Buy Here
For all else, check online.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
February 26, 2018, 02:41:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
77932 Posts in 10782 Topics by 14337 Members
Latest Member: mostafashaban
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  kunstlercast.com
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: carstars, Innocent Byproduct)
| | |-+  Kunstler's hatred of tattoos...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Kunstler's hatred of tattoos...  (Read 20122 times)
Bob

View Profile WWW
« on: July 28, 2008, 08:27:13 PM »

...hahaha...

Was amused by today's Clusterfuck Nation article.

I have many friends (and I am and they are in their 40s) with tattoos - some with lots of them. I have none.

I am so sick of seeing tattoos. I tend to agree with JHK -- the thuggish and surly have become desirable traits. We need to scrap all this and start over.

Edit: really - no offense intended to any tattoo-having folks out there. It just seems like they have lost any sort of interesting appeal when every jock I see hammering away on his $3000 road bike has a barbed-wire or tribal tat on his arm.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 08:55:32 PM by Bob » Logged

"He's dead, Jim."
faraway

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 09:22:16 PM »

Tattoos look nice on Polynesian people. I've seen some beautiful ones.

Tattoos on fair skinned people look so lame (to me).

To each his own.

You can have my Cheezedoodles ® when you pry them from my bright orange fingers.
LarSue

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 12:21:20 AM »

I don't necessarily hate them myself, but I could never commit my entire lifespan to a body ornament.  I'm too fickle.  I might not like it a week later. 

And on another point, tatoos on elderly skin are not attractive.   Wink

What if the Hokey Pokey is really all that it's all about?
Kickaha

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 12:47:42 AM »

One problem that I have with tattoos is that they are no longer a means of distinguishing oneself from the crowd, but a means of blending in with the herd.  I have friends who got "tats" before tattoos were cool.  They find the current fad very annoying.

The other problem that I have is similar to my dislike of vanity plates and bumper stickers on vehicles.  Basically, they're an advertisement of one's insecurities.  If you have a vanity plate that proclaims your toughness as a man, then the reality is that you lack the courage to serve as a bouncer at a Wiggles concert.

In times of change, learners inherit the Earth, while the learned find themselves beautifully equipped to deal with a world that no longer exists.
~~Eric Hoffer
Puant

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 01:47:49 AM »

I just got a new tattoo--a giant Baluchitherium across my back!!
mariojragucci

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 04:24:03 AM »

Tattoo's are a "monkey see...monkey do" behavior, IMHO.   I think many folks now a days get them in order to fit in.  I went through 4 years active duty in the Marines and didn't get one.  Lots of my friends would get the eagle globe and anchor, or skull, or bulldog, but I saw it as false motivation. 
Today, it's funny for me to see women with tattoos.  Women get them on their arms and wrists and neck....it's monkey business to me.  Often times I'd like to get a temporary one of the flames or what have you because folks would consider me one of them.  Because I don't have a tattoo I am not with the in crowd, lol. Cheesy

RVideo

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 07:13:13 AM »

Mr Kunstler does appear to be sensitive to "phony-ness" (sp?)  - Just as the suburban McHousesâ„¢ are cartoons of country living, and the SUVs are cartoons of rugged survivalism (a Honda Civic would probably hold up better off-road than an Expedition), the inhabitants of these cartoon landscapes seem to be turning into cartoon versions of actual, individual real people by plastering their bodies with tats.

Who ever would have thought that tattoos even have trends now, just like clothes?  Remember when the barbed wire circumfrentiating the bicep was popular?  How about the, I daresay, the trans-sacral "tramp stamp" for women?   Those aren't even 'thug' enough any more.

It's funny, seeing the latest e-ssurance commercial on TV - you know- the one where this hipster dude transforms himself into a cartoon version of himself?  What about the ubiquitous "Mr opportunity" cartoon guy selling cars?   Evidently the advertising psychiatrists are onto something.  Perhaps people are now responding to cartoon animations of real people because, in their own minds, they are cartoons themselves.

On a sidenote, I was a bit depressed to read the line about 'grown men being obsessed with video games' in this week's CFN update - I've been known to play a game of Call Of Duty, Battlefield and even Halo (sheesh) once in a great while (certainly not obsessively) - kind of embarrassing to admit though heh.   

(random tip - hold alt key-0153 on number pad if you ever want to use the â„¢ thing lol)
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 07:18:01 AM by RVideo » Logged
kevinm
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 02:24:48 PM »

Tattoos are like piercings.  Why anyone would permanently deface their body is something I don't understand.

faraway

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2008, 06:00:16 PM »

Personal anecdote:

Once at a restaurant in Portland Oregon, all the waitresses had multiple tatoos, multiple face piercings, similar spiky jet black hair, similar dark clothing and clunky shoes, etc.

I needed something and flagged a waitress I thought was mine to my table.
She said "I'll get your waitress".
I apologized and said, "I thought you were my waitress, you all look alike!"
She looked extremely miffed and sulked off.

They're sending an identity message, but the message is not what they may think. They are not unique or individualistic.

You can have my Cheezedoodles ® when you pry them from my bright orange fingers.
carstars
Global Moderator

8 cords wood, 9,999 KWH, 8,999 Miles driving

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 07:13:01 PM »

It shocks us to read something against tattoos.  As what was considered vice in a former age in now considered normal behaivour.  And taken individually or in isolation seem triviel to discuss.  Or objection to unrestrained TV content, mass gaming, speed dating, internet without any boundry, mutilation...it's associated with what is labled "religious extremist".    What is the collective effect of every more exposure of what was considered the private relm of human sensuality or weekness as it relates to the dead end usage of recreational drugs including spirits.  Add in corn syrup in almost all processed foods being the major diet of the masses.  Include financial debt loads or cartoon religious experiances.   When taken as a whole we see a hopped up, tuned out population easily controlled.  I don't see an uprising in this future just the walking dead on their way to the grave.   A life without meaning.

(Note:  For your weekend program watch the 3 part BBC documentary "The Trap"  by Adam Curtis its availabe on youtube starting with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WqJg9dZZ4Y and follow each segment to watch the whole series.  It likely is on other video sharing sites.)

.-- .-.. --... -... -.. ---
Spokane_Phil
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 04:47:35 PM »

Yeah, the tattoo epidemic mystifies me.  Bandwagons were never my thing.  I try to believe these people are doing the tattoos for a reason I don't understand, who knows?  Skulls are everywhere on skin and other ornamentations.  My optimistic (not natural for me) take on it is; it's the modern incarnation of the artistic reongnition of mortality (Escher, for example, was famous for the skulls).  But I gotta admit, my gut reaction to tattoos is disgust, dismay, and a bit of mirthless humour.  Then, I try to make myself think of a positive reason.  Like- these people feel like they've lost control of their lives and they use bandwagon adornment ritual to gain a feeling of control (perhaps without knowing it).  I don't think JHK hates the tat-crowd.  I like to believe he thinks the tat movement is mostly pathetic, like I do.
Paul

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 05:57:00 PM »

I've got to admit it, I'm with JHK on this one.

A 17 year old once approached me on a Monday morning and said, "Hey Paul, want to see my new tattoo?  He'd had it done on Saturday night.
  I took a look, tatooed on this kid's upper bicep was the fairly conventional design of a Christian cross wrapped with a banner.  Inside the banner, text was printed, the "message" of the tattoo.
  Being a texty and bookish person, I looked closely and read it aloud.  It read, "ONLY GOD CAN JUDOE ME".

"Jesus Christ, Danny," I said.  "There's a spelling mistake on your tattoo!  Isn't it supposed to say, "ONLY GOD CAN JUDGE ME"?

The kid had to acknowledge the fact that he had allowed himself to be tattooed by someone for whom spelling was a challenge.

"It's all right" Danny said, rationalizing.  "I'll get her to fix it next Saturday night."

Last I'd heard, Danny had joined the Navy.  Good place for him.

As for myself, I wear no "tats" or "piercings".  The skin is there to protect me from infection, don't fuck with the skin.

And as for my teenaged kids I say, "Encourage your brothers to get tattoos.  If they do, and you don't, after I'm dead, you'll get a bigger share."
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 06:00:02 PM by Paul » Logged
Duncan
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 06:22:28 PM »

"There's a spelling mistake on your tattoo! 

I've got a story like that. I grew up hanging out with a lot of Irish (American) guys from the quasi military Catholic school down the street from my school. One of our group of friends was a...well...a meathead, I suppose you would call him. A big football playin' brute. Nice guy though.

Anyway he went to get an Irish flag tatooed on his arm. The guy at the tatoo parlor asked him what the Irish flag looked like and he just said it's a rectangle with three stripes, one's orange, one's white and one's green. Well that's the order the guy put the stripes in.

We were all drinking one night checking out his tatoo and everyone noticed something was wrong with it. Yeah that's it, you got the colors in the wrong order.

Here's the Irish flag (the tatoo he thought he asked for):

Here's the Ivory Coast flag (the tatoo he got):

« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 07:56:53 PM by Duncan Crary » Logged

--
Host/Producer
The KunstlerCast
http://kunstlercast.com

Please post a review of our podcast in the iTunes directory!
Paul

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 06:46:32 PM »

That's HIL-arious!  Ivory Coast!  They speak French there.  Cote d'Ivoire!
PartysOver

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 07:43:02 PM »

I had a younger guy telling me about his career plans and as I eyed his forearm I stated "You know, nothing screams professionalism like satan flipping the bird..."  LOL I don't think he appreciated it.... Grin
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: