$13 + tax, shipping and handling
Also at Amazon
Or Shop Indie Bookstores*
*(price varies)
For Canada, Buy Here
For all else, check online.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 22, 2016, 10:17:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
73336 Posts in 6351 Topics by 13690 Members
Latest Member: mouseloansau
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  kunstlercast.com
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: carstars, Innocent Byproduct)
| | |-+  U2 and politics
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: U2 and politics  (Read 2678 times)
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2009, 05:34:59 PM »

Whipper.... as soon as I tried to link to the article I got a virus alert.  Could only glance at the head lines....

However I should point out that the Daily Mail is a right wing tabloid in the U.K.....sorta like Fox.  Our own Tabs have feature writers whose job is to afflict the comfortable, however it is who they define as comfortable I sometimes have issues with.

Don't worry Lucid...I'm a big U2 fan myself.

....besides we all got warts ...right?

I agree that it appears to be a biased paper. Then again I find most media and people (including myself) often are, to some extent.
Not sure why you would get a virus alert. Two different anti virus programs let it through on computers I have used?
Lucidreams, No offence meant, I just found the timing of being sent this too good to pass up. There are two sides to everything and some truth on both sides.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 05:44:09 PM by whipstock » Logged

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2009, 08:44:56 PM »

Whip, no offense taken man...it's kinda hard to offend me, got thick skin.  Just don't tell me you want me to reincarnate as a ghetto drunk and we're cool.  Still haven't read the article by the way, not sure I want to, I'll just take bill's word for it  (maybe I'll read it).  Speakin' of, I hope I didn't piss carwood off to the point where she left the board.  Haven't seen her since our little spiff.  Wood if your still out there, forgive my calousness, but it's who I am. 

If all economists were laid end to end, they [still] would not reach a conclusion. – George Bernard Shaw

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2009, 05:50:13 AM »

George Clooney is involved in the Sudan spectacle, advocating for the southern tribes vs the Khartoum government.
He has openly admitted to using his celebrity to draw attention to the situation ... because he can.

As far as I know Clooney is not pretending to know more than the next guy. But he realizes he can, through his celebrity alone, bring pressures to bear on the side of justice (or what he sees as justice .. the UN seems to disagree).

I think it only irks people when they disagree with a celebrity's cause or the message.
I would think if one had the kind of celebrity that could possibly do some good in the world, it would be difficult to resist using it.

Now if Clooney starts mouthing off about more mundane or domestic politics, I'd tend to be irked by him doing so, no matter how well informed he might be.

You can have my Cheezedoodles ® when you pry them from my bright orange fingers.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2009, 03:59:42 PM »

Actors sometimes transcend from paid imitators to the real thing.  Heck, look at Ron and Arnold.

It is the culture we live in that muddles the line between the public image, which is an amalgam of characters portrayed and clever branding to enhance market value of the individual, and the real person.

Having said that, if we insist in following every nuance of a celebrities existence, what they wear, what they eat, how they exercise, who they date, when they screw up and so forth, why would we then turn around and deny them the ability to visibly support certain causes?  It's part of the deal.  Perhaps the most real part.

We have the choice to separate their work from their politics, if we want to.  I suspect that the industry that lives on celebrity gets worried when somebody like Clooney strays from acceptable behavior and opinion and hastens to correct potential damage to his marketability.  They do so by attempting to remind Clooney that he is only only an actor, unable to comprehend political complexities.  Stick to telling us what to eat and wear, shut up and smile for the camera.

George understands the chimera of celebrity.  His aunt Rosemary tracked high and low in the popularity scale, so George knows it can all end tomorrow....and he doesn't care.  He is also intelligent and articulate so when his opinion is asked for he can give a coherent answer.

What now!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2012, 09:23:14 PM »

Some musicians embrace political causes and others shy away from them.  I remember reading an article about Phish, who played a benefit show for NOW. In their dressing room, someone had dumped a bunch of pro-choice literature that was very much in their faces. This turned the band off, and they have since refrained from doing anything political with the concern that they didn't want to be perceived as manipulating their audience. On the other hand, U2 has been actively engaged in everything from partnering with Amnesty International to Greenpeace to lobbying the UN.  A lot of people get annoyed by this.  But I say, if not U2, then who? So what if they are political. If you don't like the message, then turn it off.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2012, 08:47:52 AM »

I have no qualms about anyone expressing political views -  but I would advise the audience to be skeptical and look further when they hear it from a celebrity.
As it stands, many regular people, rather than think on an issue themselves, will be for or against something solely because their favorite celeb is for or against it.

Yes, invented by Freud's nephew. It works apparently
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: