THE KUNSTLERCAST BOOK
NOW SHIPPING (U.S. Only)
$13 + tax, shipping and handling
Also at Amazon
Or Shop Indie Bookstores*
*(price varies)
For Canada, Buy Here
For all else, check online.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 10, 2016, 07:46:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
73346 Posts in 6361 Topics by 13712 Members
Latest Member: mariamake005
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  kunstlercast.com
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Discuss Show Topics (Moderator: carstars)
| | |-+  KunstlerCast - The Big Slide Episodes (3)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: KunstlerCast - The Big Slide Episodes (3)  (Read 5710 times)
bronorb

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 11, 2010, 08:52:12 PM »

Had to chime in.
I listened to the all three acts and hats off to Jim for the writing, Duncan for making it all available to us, and to the actors who did the reading. I had no trouble at all falling into the piece as I listened. I don't do this type of thing very often. I haven't seen an actual live play in a very long time but I found it very interesting and entertaining.
As to other comments about the uncharecteristic behavior of some of the people in the play, I have to disagree. The whole idea was that this was an extraordinary situation and people act all sorts of ways when faced with strife and uncertainty. I can see how some would try to carry on the way they always have, others would adopt a Rambo-like attitude, etc.
We can only imagine how we and others around us would act. Reality could be quite different.
Good work, folks. Do some more.
Duncan
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2010, 06:43:55 AM »

Sorry I put the show out late again folks. I got hit with another "phase cancellation" problem. I had figured out how to deal with that while editing the first episode. Everything was fine during the second episode. Then it came back (or I forgot exactly how I fixed it the first two times). It has to do with the way I recorded the play. The sound waves from one mic were apparently canceling out the waves from the other mic.  You can't tell when you listen on stereo speakers. But it's obvious on dual mono speakers (which my laptop has). Anyway, I fixed the problem. It's kind of a shame because the original recordings almost sound like surround sound on stereo speakers.

--
Host/Producer
The KunstlerCast
http://kunstlercast.com

Please post a review of our podcast in the iTunes directory!
QuarereAude

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2010, 01:29:45 PM »

As of Feb 11 @ 11pm EST, the embedded audio file freezes my browser (IE8), and the downloaded mp3 file will not play in any of several media players.
Duncan
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2010, 02:45:35 PM »

As of Feb 11 @ 11pm EST, the embedded audio file freezes my browser (IE8), and the downloaded mp3 file will not play in any of several media players.

Looks like there was a missing tag that was tripping up IE 8. Just FYI it's tricky for me to check the site in IE 8 because Microsoft has discontinued it's IE for Mac.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 04:32:09 PM by Duncan » Logged

--
Host/Producer
The KunstlerCast

carstars
Global Moderator

8 cords wood, 9,999 KWH, 8,999 Miles driving

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2010, 09:52:41 PM »

Was able to listen to the whole thing last night without a problem. 

Looking forward to any more 'on' the road material if you should have it.

C

.-- .-.. --... -... -.. ---
Duncan
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2010, 10:48:47 PM »

Looking forward to any more 'on' the road material if you should have it.

You're in luck! Got some of that stuff for next weeks' show.

--
Host/Producer
The KunstlerCast

barada

We are not souls of unknown origin

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2010, 06:31:33 AM »

I listened to the whole play (KC's#97 & 98).

Wow.

The 2nd half really pulls it together.

For a while, early on, I thought the characters' dialogue was a bit heavy on the
sophisticated vocabulary. But the last half stabs the point home (especially the climax)
that these people are the well-off, the sheltered, the unsuspecting.
Highly-educated, but like so many otherwise smart people today, dangerously naive.

It would make a great 90-minute "Outer Limits"-type format production.

Will all of our lives eventually turn into a  
"bad sci-fi film with incredible effects"?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 06:33:53 AM by barada » Logged

"When life gives you demons,  make demonade."
Duncan
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2010, 08:01:39 AM »

It would make a great 90-minute "Outer Limits"-type format production.

Nice. I love the Outer Limits. You can watch both the original series and the newer series for free on http://hulu.com  (That website is rotting my brain!)

Both series are quite good, but I've decided that I enjoy the original better. One of the few podcasts I listen to is the old NBC "X Minus One" series.

By the way, I'm cooking up a special KunstlerCast for the future that will involve a commentary for one of the greatest sci fi movies ever made...(if I can verify that the film is truly in the public domain now).

--
Host/Producer
The KunstlerCast

kwiner

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2010, 06:19:49 AM »

Duncan, I am simply beside myself with joy reading the responses to BIG SLIDE.  What a perfect forum for readings and audience feedback!  Thank you, thank you, thank you and thank Jim and Doug Rice and John Borek and Michael Arvé and his entire cast for making this broadcast of Jim's play possible.
Duncan
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2010, 04:28:10 PM »

Jim speaks with KMO about Big Slide on the C-Realm podcast this week:

193 C-Realm Podcast

KMO welcomes James Howard Kunstler back to the C-Realm to talk about the themes of his new play, Big Slide. Topics include, paranoid conspiracy theories, the lucidity of John Michael Greer's writing, post-traumatic embitterment disorder, and the possibility for class-based antagonism, economic meltdown, religious craziness, and plentiful firearms to produce a kind of homegrown fascism that JHK likes to call "Cornpone Nazism."

http://c-realmpodcast.podomatic.com/

--
Host/Producer
The KunstlerCast

energyblogwalter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2010, 06:24:16 AM »

just listened and enjoyed the reading.  As an audio play that worked out very well.  All the best to the actors who really made it work.   Th ending will stick with me for a while.

DIY links and posts from the Toronto area.  Feel free to comment.
            >>> http://energyblog.wordpress.com/ <<<
John H

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2010, 04:59:04 AM »

I second energyblogwalter's praise.

I loved some of Farhnam's lines.

"Say, we could use a doctor, we've got some wounded."

"Well, things change.  Maybe you can catch a ride."

"Why, you'll be singing your way up the open road."
honeychrome

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2010, 03:21:58 PM »

I found it entertaining.  Reminded me of Sinclair Lewis' novel It Can't Happen Here.
Duncan
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2010, 09:06:08 PM »

A Concert Reading of the play Big Slide by James Howard Kunstler

Monday, May 24, 2010 7:00 p.m.
Palmer House, 107 West Beverley Street (Next to Staunton Grocery)
Produced by Lindsay Curren and Transition Staunton Augusta
Directed by Brett Sullivan Santry
Cast includes MLit Students from Mary Baldwin College
Admission is Pay-What-You-Will (as cheap as free)
Discussion to follow the reading

Light refreshments served

Please come to this Concert Reading of Big Slide by James Howard Kunstler. This play offers a compelling view into what might happen in the case of an extended and pronounced national emergency–one that would impact our food source, transportation, and public safety. Given that U.S. communities don’t really do drills to prepare for resilience in the face of emergencies, it is worth exploring for ourselves, as a community, what such a situation might look like, and how we might respond. This play can help us imagine a scenario, and use audience dialog to explore how we might respond. The play synopsis is below. We hope to see you on Monday.

“Big Slide,” by James Howard Kunstler, is a three-act play set in the autumn of an unspecified near-future year, at an Adirondack “great camp” where three generations of the Freeman family have taken refuge from New York and Boston during a severe national political maelstrom. We are never fully apprised of the exact nature of this event, but it appears to involve a coup d’etat in the White House and the uprising of local militias all over the nation in response. The estate at Big Slide is isolated from these events, but news dribbles in by radio. The electricity has stopped working and law enforcement seems to have been suspended, making it dangerous to travel even to the nearest town for food and necessities. The thirteen members of the family, ranging from the dying patriarch, Clifford Freeman, to his grown children and their spouses, to the two teenage step-siblings, Raven and Zach, struggle to work out how they will organize themselves for survival in the months ahead against a background of old and deep personal grievances with each other.

--
Host/Producer
The KunstlerCast

mjcrites

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2012, 07:15:00 AM »

Just finished watching season two of Downton Abbey (yes, I'm hopelessly addicted) and remembered how when Jim put out Big Slide how nobody wanted to do anything with large casts.  Downton's TV, of course, but you have 33 cast members shoved into one very large house with many of the same class and personal issues going on that Jim had in Big Slide. Jim's ahead of his time!
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: