THE KUNSTLERCAST BOOK
NOW SHIPPING (U.S. Only)
$13 + tax, shipping and handling
Also at Amazon
Or Shop Indie Bookstores*
*(price varies)
For Canada, Buy Here
For all else, check online.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 08, 2016, 02:59:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
73346 Posts in 6361 Topics by 13711 Members
Latest Member: Alexander2
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  kunstlercast.com
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: carstars, Innocent Byproduct)
| | |-+  KFC files for bankruptcy protection in Canada....
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: KFC files for bankruptcy protection in Canada....  (Read 7104 times)
billonions

View Profile
« on: April 05, 2011, 02:00:13 PM »

KFC, Taco Bell, and Pizza Hut are stuggleing up in the great white north.

Times are changing and they aren't, well actually they can't.

People want healthier stuff.  These guys are scrambling to adapt.

Business “has been a bad four years,” Mr. Bitove said. “Last year was the absolute worst year of the 11 years that I’ve been involved in the business.”

Mr. Bitove blamed a lack of innovation by Yum Brands, which operates 37,000 KFC, Taco Bell and Pizza Hut restaurants around the world. “It’s not just Priszm, the whole KFC system in Canada has been struggling for some time,” he said.

KFC’s Canadian outlets have traditionally specialized in selling buckets of chicken, but in the U.S. and other markets, Yum is moving away from “large packs” and trying to update its menus with more sandwiches. Those changes are supposed to come to Canada but the move will take time.

Even so, the new offerings haven’t done much for Yum in the U.S. The company’s sales and profits have been stagnant for years. Last year Yum’s 20,000 U.S. restaurants generated $4.1-billion (U.S.) in sales and posted a $668-million profit. By contrast, the company’s 4,000 restaurants in China had the same revenue and a $755-million profit

I guess the Chinese like the stuff.  Good luck to them.

Much of the fast-food business is having a tough time in North America, except for industry leader McDonald’s Corp. Burger King’s revenue dropped 8 per cent in 2010 and same-store sales fell 5 per cent. Yum is selling hundreds of Long John Silver and A&W Restaurants and Wendy's/Arby's Group Inc. is unloading its struggling Arby’s chain.

It's crap.... they don't get it.

KFC revolves around salt and fat.  The flesh of the chicken is mush.  The stuff is gross.  It's expensive and gross.

Pizza hut is a weird place, it should be, could be good, but...tons of salt.  Heart burn city.

Taco Bell is horrible.  Bizarre offerings, the first and only and last time I ate there they gave me cinnamon dusted pork rinds.  Mostly it seemed to be not so cleverly disguised baby poop.

What now!
kwellada
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 03:09:14 PM »

Those are places I avoid like the plague, whether in Canada or the states.  Pizza used to be good, about 20 years ago but have steadily declined since.  I remember ordering a pizza in 2003 or so and thinking it was one of the worst things ever.  Haven't been to a Taco Bell since 1992 or so.  Even in college, when I had no money, I saw no point in spending 99 cents on whatever they offered. 

I wasn't sure if Canadians eating healthy was a Whistler or BC thing moreso than a national thing.  I'm kinda pleased to hear they're struggling. 
Gwaihir

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 04:37:08 PM »

These places do absolutely nothing for the local communities in which they plunk down their cartoonized megastructures with parking to accommodate a small town.  They might employ your local meth head, but they are just wage slaves with no benefits, vacation, or any advancement possibilities.  Their food is horribly processed and standardized, with no connection to the local economy or farming.  I really hope more and more people verge towards local businesses with a connection to a real farm.
Problem is, these community and health wreckers are traded on wall street, and so much of our economy is tied to their survival. 
roped soloist

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2011, 04:52:59 PM »

Problem is, these community and health wreckers are traded on wall street, and so much of our economy is tied to their survival. 

which is yet another reason to welcome their demise
Cedar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2011, 05:20:24 PM »

KFC built a new store here about 5 years ago near the walmartplex. First couple of weeks the parking lot was full but I almost never see a car there now. I got to think the factory farming enlightenment has something to do with it. I buy those lily white chicken quarters in bulk at the grocery for $.49/pound to feed my dogs. Can’t believe how much fat boils off. Cubby chicken taste great when you got a good buzz on I guess… I still can’t believe people actually go out for “wings”.

I rarely buy pizza but I got caught with an empty stomach and refrigerator and a Dominic’s pizza is right next to the Guinness store (liquor store, hehe). OMG, it was like eating salty spices on cardboard.

But I’ll tell ya… McDonalds is the busiest store in town. Day and night. Did you hear McDees is planning to go 24/7 nation wide.

On the other hand... we could take the remaining resources and try to create a comfortable, enjoyable, naturally sustainable low energy consuming world unaffected by shortages or economic swings.
Andrew

In transit

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 03:16:21 AM »

Those are places I avoid like the plague, whether in Canada or the states.  Pizza used to be good, about 20 years ago but have steadily declined since.  I remember ordering a pizza in 2003 or so and thinking it was one of the worst things ever.  Haven't been to a Taco Bell since 1992 or so.  Even in college, when I had no money, I saw no point in spending 99 cents on whatever they offered. 

I wasn't sure if Canadians eating healthy was a Whistler or BC thing moreso than a national thing.  I'm kinda pleased to hear they're struggling. 

In Canada the restaurant chain that I've seen grow over the years has been Tim Horton's. http://www.timhortons.com/

In transit, Andrew
worldwide

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 05:32:09 AM »

KFC and Taco Bell are disgusting. not many of either actually exist in the Vancouver area, although KFC is around more frequently. I can see why they would fail here. crap food, old dingy restaurants, bad locations. We also have a great selection of local chain restaurants and mom and pop places, lots of sushi, chinese, thai, vietnamese, etc... not so much american style food.

I do have to say though that pizza hut is delicious and it will be a sad day when it's no longer an option here. meh, ok, I think I can get over it. The best is home-made pizza, everything even the sauce from scratch. sure it takes a few hours but it's fantastic
carstars
Global Moderator

8 cords wood, 9,999 KWH, 8,999 Miles driving

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 08:08:37 AM »

But I’ll tell ya… McDonalds is the busiest store in town. Day and night. Did you hear McDees is planning to go 24/7 nation wide. 

Sort of the same thing around here.  McDonalds has expanded at their stores to the double wide driving up take out window system.   Really looks like crap as the delivery windows are on the Street side as if people don't remember.   But the place is hopping almost 24 hours a day.   I think they close the walk in for a 6 hours in the late night.

Almost all of the other chain burger places have folded, Burger King, Wendys, etc.  O they have opened a few of the Carl's Jr's.  Not sure how they are doing.   Mostly what seems to be opening are ever more sugar/salt/peanut butter flavoured so called Thai places and ever more Mexican stlye places all non-chain. 

Last trip into 'town' I packed a ham sandwich.   Probably total cost 75 cents of high quality stuff - eat fresh and cheap I say.   

C

.-- .-.. --... -... -.. ---
The St.Paulite

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 02:34:34 PM »

I've got these mixed feelings about places that are omnipresent across the world - like KFC, Taco Bell and Borders (okay, Borders isn't fast food, but it's in poor financial shape and all over the place).

I remember posting on here a while back claiming I was glad that Circuit City was closing its doors. I did hate that place, but now every time I read of a place like Borders / KFC filing for bankruptcy or closing its doors, I can't but think of "jobs" ... when they are lost, our economy isn't able to handle the influx of new people into the workforce ...

Yes, these are not great jobs. They pay poorly and usually don't offer benefits. But - they are jobs nonetheless. I look at the community where I grew up - when the Border's closes down, that literally represents 100 people out of work (mostly college students who will have less spending cash). It will also be a LARGE BOX that will sit empty at the edge of town. The building was built in the 2000s (as was most of the area) and it's starting to decay already.

It's very sad.

"insert witty quote" - person
Gwaihir

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 12:41:02 AM »

Yes, these are not great jobs. They pay poorly and usually don't offer benefits. But - they are jobs nonetheless. I look at the community where I grew up - when the Border's closes down, that literally represents 100 people out of work (mostly college students who will have less spending cash). It will also be a LARGE BOX that will sit empty at the edge of town. The building was built in the 2000s (as was most of the area) and it's starting to decay already.

It's very sad.

Then they'll be stabbed in the back when they go for unemployment, and they have what seems like seconds to get a new job, with measly benefit checks coming in, and now they're looking to cut unemployment completely a la the republican budget slashes.  What are they supposed to do, after asking nothing but a job. 
I'm sure in every case the CEO's and upper management of places like circuit city get very generous severence packages.  Oh and they don't have to pay taxes. 
RyCos

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2011, 01:07:50 PM »

to be honest, KFC has always seemed like the crappiest fried chicken to me.
Pizza Hut is the shittiest franchised pizza i've had.  and Taco Bell is total garbage.  that is just my opinion.
these places are like a disease. 
Cedar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2011, 01:30:35 PM »

They all tasted so much better 30 years ago.

I was a Wheaties kid, I ate Wheaties most every day for breakfast. Even as an adult… Sometime in mid 80’s they changed the formula. It got sweeter, the flakes thinner and the color was lighter… and it tasted less “hardy”. I quit eating it.

On the other hand... we could take the remaining resources and try to create a comfortable, enjoyable, naturally sustainable low energy consuming world unaffected by shortages or economic swings.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: