THE KUNSTLERCAST BOOK
NOW SHIPPING (U.S. Only)
$13 + tax, shipping and handling
Also at Amazon
Or Shop Indie Bookstores*
*(price varies)
For Canada, Buy Here
For all else, check online.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 08, 2016, 02:55:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
73346 Posts in 6361 Topics by 13711 Members
Latest Member: Alexander2
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  kunstlercast.com
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Eyesores (Moderator: carstars)
| | |-+  Not an EyeSore transforms to an EyeSore (via real estate company)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Not an EyeSore transforms to an EyeSore (via real estate company)  (Read 3046 times)
faraway

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 04:33:08 PM »

We Need a New Word:
I almost feel as if there needs to be a new word, something that is a perfect antonym for "renovate"; e.g.: when a builder comes in and "remodels" into a modernist nightmare that looks worse than the original.

I forget which magazine it was, maybe Old House Journal, but they had a feature on the back cover every month called
Remuddling of the Month (remudding instead of remodelling).

This project is the mother of alll REMUDDLINGS.

You can have my Cheezedoodles ® when you pry them from my bright orange fingers.
ShadesofBleu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 04:40:46 AM »

This eyesore, with its big blank street facing walls, is a graffiti canvas in the making.  Please give us an update when it is improve... I mean defaced.

Moderators, I am not condoning or promoting vandalism.  I'm just stating the obvious.  The eyesore already does a fine job of condoning and promoting vandalism, itself.
ShadesofBleu

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 05:51:04 AM »

Please forive me for raining on this parade....

The replacement building looks like a retro modern imitation of a 1939 bus station.  Odd that...subliminal even.

Good point Bill,
At least the new building has some re-use as a bus station after real estate values continue to decline and commissions continue to get so crushed they close the doors on this satellite office of a company that made it's money during suburban housing boom.

We Need a New Word:
I almost feel as if there needs to be a new word, something that is a perfect antonym for "renovate"; e.g.: when a builder comes in and "remodels" into a modernist nightmare that looks worse than the original.

^ I usually go with the term nu. Any time something replaces (or attempts to replace) something cool with an inferior version, such as with nu-metal, nu-rock or nu-country, I label it nu. In conversation, the way to make this distinction is to drag out the U a little bit as in, "Look at the nuuu building they built".

I'm going to take your advice and use the word "nu". In the case of this building - "nu-modeled" ...

I think this has been covered a dozen times or so on this forum, but this "nu-modeled" building is a prime example of why I find myself being a NIMBY a lot of times. It's not that I LOVE what currently exists, but it's that I HATE what is being built.

It's catchy! Pretty soon you'll find yourself using in a lot of situations.

The one REALLY huge problem with using "nu" to describe crappy buildings is that "nu" is the abbreviation for "New Urbanism."

And considering this past week's podcast about Mr. I Am A Snob From Harvard Who Hates New Urbanism, I am of the opinion that New Urbanism needs all the support it can get.

Good catch Innocent Byproduct.  Then again, maybe it's good for them to share abbreviations.  If they both come up on search engine or blog and Twitter searches, it could make a good opportunity for people to compare and contrast good design with bad design.
faraway

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2011, 05:57:23 PM »

Bizarrely beautiful: The striking carpet of leaves baffling motorists and pedestrians
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2045650/Bizarrely-beautiful-The-striking-carpet-leaves-baffling-motorists-pedestrians.html

You can have my Cheezedoodles ® when you pry them from my bright orange fingers.
marcszar
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2012, 02:38:06 AM »

Architects vandalize a beautiful building in Dubuque, IA:

This cheap, prefab, dishonest veneer will look horrible as it ages (it's already beginning to look tired).

You know what I've noticed? Many architects are perfectly willing to generate "contextual" additions to old Modernist buildings/campuses,* but they always insist on adding "radical juxtapositions" to pre-Modernist buildings! Why the double standard? Just admit it: you don't have the skills to design a beautiful addition, so you have to use the "radical juxtaposition" excuse.

*Why the historicist behavior? I thought you guys were obliged to dabble in repetitive "of our time" experiments?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 02:45:04 AM by marcszar » Logged
mjcrites

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2012, 07:07:40 PM »

O' man and Dubuque is a really pretty town.  That's just a shame.
marcszar
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2012, 10:42:58 PM »

Unbelievable! There's a proposal to demolish St. Patrick's Church in Watervliet (across the Hudson from Troy)...

...and replace it with a parking lot+strip mall!

(Do they look like snake oil salesmen or what?)

This would be a very shocking 'not-an-eyesore to eyesore' transformation. Not only would the church itself be demolished, but a number of surrounding buildings would be razed too:
The historic church, rectory and school building would be razed as would rowhouses lining 23rd Street.

And it would be a shame to see this church disappear from the skyline of the Hudson River valley:

Are these people retarded? Still, what do you do with a grand old building you can no longer afford to maintain? In the past it'd probably be torn down to make way for a more modest (but still beautiful) building, but I guess we can no longer expect this. Nearby RPI managed to turn an old seminary chapel into a computer lab, though; couldn't the developer find some way to turn this church into apartments, offices, or retail/performance/entertainment space (or some combination)? Maybe right now demolishing this institution pencils out econometrically, but 10, 20, 30 years from now Watervlietians are really going to regret what they threw away.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 11:03:04 PM by marcszar » Logged
The St.Paulite

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2012, 02:31:24 AM »

God damn it! Somebody's got to alert Duncan and get him working on this case! I thought the down economy killed stupid proposals like this? Guess not.

How about getting those churches along side the highway in the boxes to head downtown? Could they use the space? What could this building be as a re-use?

"insert witty quote" - person
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: