THE KUNSTLERCAST BOOK
NOW SHIPPING (U.S. Only)
$13 + tax, shipping and handling
Also at Amazon
Or Shop Indie Bookstores*
*(price varies)
For Canada, Buy Here
For all else, check online.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 25, 2017, 07:43:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
73872 Posts in 6764 Topics by 14215 Members
Latest Member: MindiBeringer
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  kunstlercast.com
|-+  General Category
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: carstars, Innocent Byproduct)
| | |-+  Does anyone else besides Duncan not own a cellphone?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Does anyone else besides Duncan not own a cellphone?  (Read 3495 times)
Karaokevox
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2011, 02:36:09 AM »

He doesn't have a cell phone?   Okay.  So?

Its easy to knock the trends in communications especially the ones haven't needed or tried.   
I envy people who can be content with same haicut and phone # for 30+ years but life isn't that way for most people.
change is inevitable and if it makes people feel better, like they have more control, when they buck trends, okay.
I finally got a smartphone. Because I was wanting the allinone device for a long time and they are VERY affordable now. 
I'm self employed and run n oncall by appt only private practice.  People have to be able to reach me last min and knkw when I'm availabe and I'm on theroad....and I can pay for stuff and get paid with the smartphone technology!  Caching!
Its scary being so dependent on one device....I have a backup.   As long as the internet is there then I'm okay. 
What happens when that goes?  No internet?  Only cellphone? 
I don't see a partition there.  I think satellite technology governs the services now and well be getting everything wireless.  Cuts down on wire maintenance costs.  I don't like paying fees for that.  Id rather split cost with the masses using a few satellites than a small community.
I don't feel smart as much as savvy because I feel connected with the world on my terms instead of someone elses.
Andrew

In transit

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2011, 05:09:06 AM »

I've never owend a car and I hope I never have to own a car either.

Though I do drive from time to time with my brothers car, pretty much just to move it for him.

In transit, Andrew
luciddreams

http://emtmusings.blogspot.com/

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2011, 03:13:41 PM »

Great topic!!

I haven't mused too much on just the cell phone, but communication technology in general I have.  I've been attempting to eliminate as much of it from my life as I can and those actions have included:

1.  No television (just have dvd players hooked up to our two tv's with nearly a thousand movies between vhs and dvd)
2.  Deleted FB account.
3.  Unsubscribed to Netflix.
4.  Disabled internet from cell phones.

So far that's been the extent of what I've been able to accomplish and all of that was one step at a time over several years.  I'm 31 so I am among the last generation that knows life without cell phones and I firmly believe that life was much better before them.  The pager was good enough IMO.  For a while I wanted to get rid of the internet in general but my wife makes a living from it so it's not possible. 

Vooch, I like what you have done and I would love to do it myself, it would save me a pretty penny to do it, but again my wife needs the internet for business websites (she's a photographer and sells all manner of crap she finds at thrift stores on ebay for an unbelievable profit). 

I think communication technology cheapens humanity, especially friendships.  Sure you can stay in touch with your buddy who moves to the other side of the country, or world, but what does it mean to "stay in touch" with somebody you will probably never see again?  What kind of relationship is that to have?  Before CT (communication tech) two things would have happened:

1.  You (or family member or friend) would not have moved that far away.
2.  If said person did move that far away it would probably mean only the closest friends would have stayed in touch via hard line or written letter.  Both of which would require an extensive amount of time...like a half hour...holy shit imagine that.  In a world where we have commercials that are selling their phones based on being downloading or uploading, or whatever the hell it is that they do, 27 sec faster than the other guy. 

IMO the Matrix is communication technology.  We don't need to be hard wired into the Matrix, it's wireless. 

For me, the most illuminating aspect of this technology is simply the action of what you have to do to use it.  Any screen from a smartphone to the computer to the television (which they now have 3D internet televisions for about 6 grand...telescreen...1984...anybody?).  What are you doing?  You are staring at a screen.  Usually sitting on your ass staring at a screen.  I would be hard pressed to think of another activity that is more dehumanizing than that.  Unless you consider your physical body to be nothing more than meat space that is baggage you must carry around to inhabit consciousness.  Gamers are the logical conclusion to that way of thinking. 

There is no doubt that smartphone technology has become a necessary aspect of 21st century life, and it won't be long before it becomes MANDATORY.  I often say that if my director had it his way (I work for a county EMS agency), we would simply show up to work (we would have some manner of computer chip inserted in our brains) scan our retina's to clock in, and then he would be able to control our bodies as avatars all day long while at work to limit legal liabilities.  No doubt there would probably be an autopilot type software that would control our actions and speech for most circumstances. 

Simply put, CT is dehumanizing and it's my hope that the limited nature of our hydrocarbon energy situation will save us from a complete CT civilization.  It's no longer science fiction. 

If all economists were laid end to end, they [still] would not reach a conclusion. – George Bernard Shaw
luciddreams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2011, 03:20:40 PM »

if anyone's interested this is a blog I wrote on CT recently

http://emtmusings.blogspot.com/2011/08/revolutionary-act.html

If all economists were laid end to end, they [still] would not reach a conclusion. – George Bernard Shaw
nissan03

"...there is no cure for curiosity."

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2012, 02:01:29 AM »

Apple Iphone 4s.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_IPhone_4S
     >Shenzhen, China.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shenzhen
            >Foxconn Technology Group.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foxconn
                    >This American Life 1-6-2012.    http://www.thisamericanlife.org/play_full.php?play=454&podcast=1

"Everything is hand made."

You ever feel like there is gonna be a shameful price to pay for everything we've been doing?

We don't have souls.  We are souls.  We have bodies.  C. S. Lewis

People only accept change when they are faced with necessity, and only recognise necessity when a crisis is upon them.  Jean Monnet
drbubb

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2012, 02:19:12 AM »

I have a cell phone, and only a cell phone.  The phone is a durable Motorola...

My wife has her own cell phone, an iphone. 
My wife's cell phone costs $40.00-$90.00 a month with high activation and start-up costs.

My cell phone was initially free and costs $13.95 per month, but may go up to $18.95 next year.  I may disconnect it next month due to lack of use.
Smart to wait?
I havent bought an (expensive) iphone either.

I was gratified to read in today's paper:

"Smart move wins Microsoft plaudits"
The article talks about "the best looking smartphone operating system in the industry.
And it comes from MICROSOFT (believe it or not), and it is called Windows iphone.

The new competition may drive down the high cost of the iphone, and finally make it something that even Duncan (and I) will want to own.
billonions

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2012, 05:41:28 AM »

Great find Nissan.  Good show.

What now!
smellincoffee

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2012, 08:25:41 PM »

My parents bought me a cellphone when I moved away to university. I'm somewhat notorious in my family for avoiding phones, and I kept that one turned off most of the time. I turned it on in the late afternoons when I was done with work, classes, and supper, and used it instead of the dorm phone to keep in touch with my parents; the audio quality was better. Once I graduated from university they decided to stop paying for it, and since I have so little interest in it I didn't buy my own account.  I regard the cellphone with suspicion; I dislike the way people are constantly engrossed in little gadgets instead of the real world...although I can't blame someone wanting to distract themselves from 20 miles of commercial strips! 

The ability to be in constant connection seems to have convinced people that we SHOULD be constantly connected, and I for one like privacy.I think there are appropriate times and places to use cellphones.  (My secret dream is to have a small room with a phone and a chair, and whenever someone uses the phone they can sit right there in the chair and give the conversation their full attention, instead of bothering everyone else in the house with half a conversation and barely listening to the other person.)  I imagine one day I'll get another cellphone, just for emergencies, but I'll keep it turned off. I am not a dog whose attention can be commanded with a ringing phone.
luciddreams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2012, 11:22:35 PM »

My parents bought me a cellphone when I moved away to university. I'm somewhat notorious in my family for avoiding phones, and I kept that one turned off most of the time. I turned it on in the late afternoons when I was done with work, classes, and supper, and used it instead of the dorm phone to keep in touch with my parents; the audio quality was better. Once I graduated from university they decided to stop paying for it, and since I have so little interest in it I didn't buy my own account.  I regard the cellphone with suspicion; I dislike the way people are constantly engrossed in little gadgets instead of the real world...although I can't blame someone wanting to distract themselves from 20 miles of commercial strips! 

The ability to be in constant connection seems to have convinced people that we SHOULD be constantly connected, and I for one like privacy.I think there are appropriate times and places to use cellphones.  (My secret dream is to have a small room with a phone and a chair, and whenever someone uses the phone they can sit right there in the chair and give the conversation their full attention, instead of bothering everyone else in the house with half a conversation and barely listening to the other person.)  I imagine one day I'll get another cellphone, just for emergencies, but I'll keep it turned off. I am not a dog whose attention can be commanded with a ringing phone.

This is awesome.  I'm just curious, if you don't mind answering, how old are you? 

spudbuddy

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2012, 12:00:47 AM »

I actually tried ditching mine for a while. It went terribly. Society restructured itself around this contraption very quickly. Nobody under 40 is willing to sit and wait for someone to show up. The number of payphones has been decimated. People won't answer strange numbers, anyway. Almost all calls are long distance. Parties move without leaving notes. Nobody leaves notes when they're gone for any reason, really, and won't commit to staying in one place. You give someone your house phone number and they'll try to text it; when it doesn't go through they get pissed thinking you gave them a fake number. Nobody fixes their doorbell or buzzer when it breaks or they remodel. Some won't even answer a knock at the door or they can't hear it.

Older people aren't nearly as bad about being unpredictable like this, but being under 35 myself I quickly determined that it's a cruel world out there for young people without cell phones. I didn't get one until I was 24, so I definitely remember life without them and how to be resourceful when contacting people. But, at that time, the world was still made for those without one. I did manage 3 weeks in Europe without one in 2008, but when on vacation your group is much more cautious and people don't expect to be able to get ahold of you while on vacation.

Interesting - this explains the mystery of infrastructural breakdown going on all around me - nothing needs to be fixed if a "simple" phone call can solve the problem.
(and although this is as short as a "tweet", I'll twerp off here...)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 12:24:04 AM by spudbuddy » Logged

just let me laugh when it's funny
and when it's sad, let me cry
spudbuddy

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2012, 12:23:05 AM »

I actually take great pleasure in reading while everyone around me is texting. The reason is astonishing (to me, at least.) They text.....silently.
This beats the crap outa loudmouth onesided conversations (mono - logs.)
I refust to text. I love to type - with all ten digits.
Thumbing is decidedly simian to me - not only a digit-al devolution, but decidedly far too much encouragement to those who can't put two intelligent sentences together (so only needing one solves this problem?)
Tweetings.....I believe, are the bird-chirps of what could have been a human life.
My cell phone arrived when I bought a car - hence "mobile" was the operative concept.
It stays in my pocket almost always, where it often attempts to take pictures - curiously.
Although I don't like to suffer fools gladly, I'm a steadfast stoic about technological maladjustments.
Small cyber-miracles are often welcome, as needed - and whatever Paradise we Lost along the way steals very little sleep.
How many media-social angels can dance on the head of a pin, anyway? (Without bumping into each other...)
Best of all..........cell or no - private time is still private (probably because very few people under the age of thirty ever call me.)

just let me laugh when it's funny
and when it's sad, let me cry
smellincoffee

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2012, 12:47:55 AM »

This is awesome.  I'm just curious, if you don't mind answering, how old are you? 

26 for another couple of weeks.  Shocked
luciddreams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2012, 12:50:17 AM »

26 for another couple of weeks.  Shocked

Shocked indeed, that's amazing that you have that outlook at 26.  You know environment and what not. 

GCrites80s

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2012, 06:45:13 PM »

The ability to be in constant connection seems to have convinced people that we SHOULD be constantly connected, and I for one like privacy.I think there are appropriate times and places to use cellphones. 

Cell phones are simultaneously destroying the art of conversation and efficiency of speech. Being able to talk any time and anywhere without a long conversation resulting in a big bill turns people into a bunch of ramblers.
smellincoffee

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2012, 09:30:17 PM »

Shocked indeed, that's amazing that you have that outlook at 26.  You know environment and what not. 

I blame/thank Neil Postman...his Technopoly and Amusing Ourselves to Death are two books which have  gone a long way in shaping my thinking.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: