THE KUNSTLERCAST BOOK
NOW SHIPPING (U.S. Only)
$13 + tax, shipping and handling
Also at Amazon
Or Shop Indie Bookstores*
*(price varies)
For Canada, Buy Here
For all else, check online.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 08, 2016, 02:57:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
73346 Posts in 6361 Topics by 13711 Members
Latest Member: Alexander2
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  kunstlercast.com
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Eyesores (Moderator: carstars)
| | |-+  Blowing green smoke up our ass
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Blowing green smoke up our ass  (Read 967 times)
kevinb

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2011, 02:26:49 PM »

This would be a good eyesore of the month candidate...garage door most prominent feature on the front...but of course it is the GREENEST HOUSE IN CHICAGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.jetsongreen.com/2010/12/leed-platinum-wind-powered-home-chicago.html
The St.Paulite

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 03:00:41 PM »

Moreover, while hiking and camping in the northern Minnesota boundary waters last summer, I noticed that real estate agents were selling "green" "eco-houses" "LEED certified" summer and winter (and hunting) cabins. Needless to say, simply to get to some remote areas of the Northwoods can take hours (and even more if the weather isn't cooperating) ...

What stunned me the most: aren't all cabins pretty eco-friendly? From my memories growing up; it's one to two room wooden shack with a small fireplace, a cheap, make-shift stove and some bunk beds ... of course now, every small cabin in the woods must have a flat screen TV

"insert witty quote" - person
kevinb

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 01:39:26 PM »

I actually think the green movement will run it's course soon...As an architect, I am given presentations at least a few times a month on the latest building materials...everything from revolving doors to cement blocks is considered green...it will become nothing more than marketing noise soon enough
marcszar
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 04:33:14 PM »

^ As an architect, what is your opinion of LEED? Are you frustrated at all the "green" parking lots, office parks, and big box stores (that were once) going up?  Cheesy

I argued in another thread that LEED was total bullshit as currently structured, even if the intentions behind the original drafters were well-meaning. The biggest problem we still have is that we think of "green" as a sort of salve you can apply to individual buildings or building components, when "green design" really is the implementation of sustainable neighborhoods and communities set into appropriate landscapes, or the addition of complementary buildings into such environments.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 04:37:52 PM by marcszar » Logged
faraway

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 09:22:18 PM »

I actually think the green movement will run it's course soon...As an architect, I am given presentations at least a few times a month on the latest building materials...everything from revolving doors to cement blocks is considered green...it will become nothing more than marketing noise soon enough

Oh I hope it will run its course SOON. I am so tired of the BS. That video someone posted on another thread, Business as Usual LLC is the story of my life ... it should have been an architect's office instead of a widget business.

Meanwhile LEED is stratifying itself into even more elite branches that you can vy to attain.

LEED Gold Luxury Home Up For Auction
http://www.earthtechling.com/2011/01/leed-gold-luxury-home-up-for-auction/

You can have my Cheezedoodles ® when you pry them from my bright orange fingers.
travis1411

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 12:50:24 PM »

Hmm, I saw the image of that LEED house its very nice and the best thing is that its an LEED certifiable. LEED certified house means the house is very environmentally friendly i.e its uses only sufficient natural minerals like energy, water or other resource. Also that house reduce waste, pollution and environmental degradation and its totally safe to the other surroundings and it 100% healthy to the people.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: