$13 + tax, shipping and handling
Also at Amazon
Or Shop Indie Bookstores*
*(price varies)
For Canada, Buy Here
For all else, check online.
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 22, 2016, 06:39:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
73336 Posts in 6351 Topics by 13690 Members
Latest Member: mouseloansau
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  kunstlercast.com
|-+  General Category
| |-+  Discuss Show Topics (Moderator: carstars)
| | |-+  Discuss - KunstlerCast #189: Irrational Cries to Demolish Infrastructure
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Discuss - KunstlerCast #189: Irrational Cries to Demolish Infrastructure  (Read 1927 times)

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2012, 07:02:44 AM »

Should the trail system be closed and off limits at certain hours of the night?   

Probably only by way of posting the hours the trail is officially "open", not by building and shutting any gates. I have been known to ride the bike trail home at night with LED headlights on my bike. Not the smartest thing to do. Not necessarily any more unsafe than riding the streets home at night (especially through the neighborhoods one would be required to ride through). There have been murders and rapes along certain stretches of the bike trail at night. Then again I was brutally mugged (well brutally assaulted....they never got my money) trying to walk home on the streets adjacent to the trail. The car people would simply say that you shouldn't walk or ride your bike at night. Then again, how many people die in car accidents at night? Round and around we go.

The KunstlerCast

Please post a review of our podcast in the iTunes directory!
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2012, 07:33:23 AM »

Irrational both ways....1) to demolish something that doesn't CAUSE accidents and has intrinsic value when used for the purpose in which it was intended and
2) to preserve a route that doesn't compete with existing avenues as regards expedited travel time and personal safety, (just for looks).

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2012, 03:11:47 PM »

The dangerous and extremely windy Cliffs of Moher in Ireland have no fences:

You can walk up and look over if you've got the courage.
I’ve been to the cliffs of moher and walked the ledge. I crawled on my belly to look over the edge. That was 10 years ago and just seeing a pic of the cliffs scares the hell out of me now.

How about these crazy nuts:
Don’t now if the pics are real but that’s a death wish.
I suppose if one did that they would have a story to trump all but a tortured prisioner.

On the other hand... we could take the remaining resources and try to create a comfortable, enjoyable, naturally sustainable low energy consuming world unaffected by shortages or economic swings.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2012, 08:56:41 PM »

I went for a long walk in my snowpocalypsed neighborhood this morning and as I was adding my tracks to the all the others that lead around a no trespassing sign on a power line road this little ditty popped into my head.  

As I went walking I saw a sign there
And on the sign it said "No Trespassing."
But on the other side it didn't say nothing,
That side was made for you and me.

It seems to me that we in America have a long history of exploring and using castoff spaces.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 11:16:47 PM by mjcrites » Logged

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2012, 11:00:12 PM »

Thanks for the Lord Whimsy link.

Good show and good points.

I've been calling my walks Urban Orienteering, I'm in a new place, at least for the time being, and about a month ago I parked the car and decided to explore, on foot.

5 to 10 klick  (3 to 6 miles for my american friends) rambles of discovery, mostly taking place in the newly built sprawl and 70's vintage neighborhoods surrounding my abode.  The mountain beckons behind me, and while interesting enough, nary a book store or coffee shop grace it's slopes.  Actually most of my rambles have a purpose....and I end up taking two hours to get a quart of milk, side trips, and getting a quart of milk involves about a four klick walk any way.
  My foot pounding companions for the most part are the very young, the socially decrepit, other old dudes like me, and the odd dog walker.  I do get the looks trundling down the hill with my shopping buggy in tow.  The ratio of cars to pedestrians is like a thousand to one, anxious looks of shop clerks as I walk in from the street obvious I'm not attached to a car.  A little battered looking second hand clothes and bright red outdoors glow.  "Is he one of those?"

I found where the old rail line used to go through town, gone is the train, all that remains is a peculiar walking path.  A couple of places where quail hang out, besides a busy street, and the Mule deer that infest the back yards quickly grew used to me and now gaze and munch while I pass by.  The ears sticking straight out at 45 degrees of the sentinel pair of bucks, jaws slowly working,stopping when I stop, the does ignoring me and munching away, pulling grass
 I found where the old rail line used to go through town, gone is the train, all that remains is a peculiar walking path.
 I found the remains of an old dump.  The road cut through the junk strata like a dry creek through running through the Rift valley, exposing detritus from another age.  I found some blue glass shards and crockery and other ceramic and glass bits and pieces, rusty metal lumps and no plastic.  I'd date this to a least pre-1960.
  Mostly I remembered doing this as a kid, having a different scale of time and space, to measure distance by foot, and surprised later if and when I travel by car over the route I walked, Jeez almost a little disoriented.  Off course this whole place is new to me.
  I see more, notice more, I'm enjoying it. 

What now!
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: